Mostly Cloudy ~
Wind Chill Advisory
Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013
How sweet is your life?Posted Wednesday, May 4, 2011, at 12:36 PM
How sweet is your life? I wondered the other day, how much sugar do we, on the average, consume in a year's time. I knew it had to be a large amount as sugar seems to be everywhere, hidden from us and often not even thought of while we are eating such items as cake, ice cream, cookies, jellies and jams on our morning toast. Yea, all right, we aren't really supposed to be eating that stuff - dieticians and those strict weight watchers would slap us silly if they really knew what we consume.
I went to the internet, of course, and typed in "how much sugar does a person consume in a year" and it took me to this sight answers.com
Now, I don't know who answers these questions but I am pretty sure it's not people with medical degrees nor investigators, but it did amuse me to some degree.
One hundred pounds. That is supposedly how much sugar we eat in a year. Holy buckets!
There was also information on other items we supposedly eat a great deal of in a year's time.
* Chocolate bars - 80. I hate to say, but I may surpass that number - and it never indicated what size - the miniatures or the giant 5 lb. size.
* Apples - 65. I am sure my daughter more than doubles that. An apple a day keeps the doctor away - she has eaten enough apples that she may never need to see a doctor in her entire life.
* Bananas - 6,000. What? It must have been a gang of monkeys adding up those numbers.
* Eggs - 730. If you consider eggs for breakfast, the eggs in baked items - that could add up but me - I'd rather have the chicken.
* Tomatoes - 11. Depending on the time of year. Fresh from the garden, I could eat several a day but probably get the majority of that number in ketchup.
* Pizza slices - 834. That seems extreme. My son once ate 22 slices at a buffet so if he did that several times a week, he would make that one easily - but then again, he probably wouldn't make it through the door to get to the buffet.
* Gallons of milk - 2,895. Not me. I'm a fraid, my calcium comes from supplements.
* Hamburgers - 100. Again, I prefer chicken so I know I won't reach that one.
* Hot dogs - 68. Most people wouldn't touch a hot dog with all those mystery ingredients.
* And the surprise, bugs - 50. Yum.
Lorri Glawe is a reporter for the Pilot Tribune in Storm Lake.