Feels like: -11°F
Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013
I'll have bugs with thatPosted Thursday, January 27, 2011, at 3:44 PM
I love reading weird stuff and this week I came across some "wacky" facts that just need to be shared.
* Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie. (quick, give me a roll of them!)
* Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about 30 percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the 20th floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself. (Hopefully, it will have a few more lives to use up before it decides to fly out of the window.)
* The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; '7' was selected after the original 7-ounce containers and 'UP' for the direction of the bubbles. (Makes sense to me,)
* To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs - it will let you go instantly. (Uffda. Glad to know that!) and
* Crocodiles and alligators are surprisingly fast on land. Although they are rapid, they are not agile. So, if being chased by one, run in a zigzag line to lose him or her. (Remember these two tidbits for the next time you come across some crocs - and I don't mean the kind people are wearing these days!)
* The electric chair was invented by a dentist. (Hopefully he didn't mistake his exam chair with the electric chair.)
* More people are killed annually by donkeys than airplane crashes. (I hope not from "crashing" donkeys.)
* In the marriage ceremony of the ancient Inca Indians of Peru, the couple was considered officially wed when they took off their sandals and handed them to each other. (P-U.)
* Most collect calls are made on father's day. (From daddy's little girls, most likely!)
* Ants closely resemble human manners: When they wake, they stretch and appear to yawn in a human manner before taking up the tasks of the day. (So who has the time or the eye strength to do the research on ants?)
* When you sneeze, air and particles travel through the nostrils at speeds over 100 mph. During this time, all bodily functions stop, including your heart, contributing to the impossibility of keeping one's eyes open during a sneeze. (I've always wondered about this.)
* The average person will accidentally eat just under a pound of insects every year. (MMM) and
* The average woman consumes 6 lbs of lipstick in her lifetime. (No wonder my tube of lipstick goes so fast - I'm supposed to apply it - not eat it!)
* The average person falls asleep in seven minutes. (Hey, wake up!!)
After you wake, sahre these fun facts with your friends. They will think you are amazingly smart!
Lorri Glawe is a reporter for the Pilot Tribune in Storm Lake.