Feels like: 6°F
Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013
Heat wave is here!Posted Thursday, March 4, 2010, at 10:24 AM
Funny, isn't it, that 30 degrees can fool the body, which has endured minus degree temperatures for weeks, into thinking that it is warm enough to not wear a winter coat!
I did that on Saturday and it felt mighty good!
If we were having 30-degree temperatures in Nov. 1 we'd be thinking, "Whoa! we need coats, long johns, three layers of shirts, hats and gloves" and we'd still be complaining how darn cold it is!
It has been a horrendous winter, hasn't it? Soon, we won't even be thinking about the conditions we lived through; instead we will be complaining about all the rivers we have to walk through to get where we need to get and eventually how hot it is! We're crazy like that, aren't we? Never happy.
What I will be happy about, however, is when some of those gigantic snow piles melt and we no longer have to ever so slowly sneak out from an intersection to make sure no vehicles are coming before we pull out. The piles have been a great nuisance. It's difficult to move back if you sneak out a little too far and a car actually is coming. Fortunately I haven't been hit but I am sure there have been a few accidents caused by that game.
And what about all those ice sickles forming on the houses and businesses? Some of those sculptures could win awards for their beauty. I wouldn't want to be underneath some of them when they come loose, though.
The winter has stretched on and has stressed a lot of people out - to the point of driving some insane or near to it. Here are some ways to maintain a healthy level of insanity (another email that was shared with me from my sister.) Hope they'll make you smile.
1. At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on and point a hair dryer at passing cars. see if they slow down.
2. Page yourself over the intercom. Don't disguise your voice!
3. Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if they want fries with that.
4. Put decaf in the coffee maker for 3 weeks . Once everyone has gotten over their caffeine addictions, switch to robusto.
5. Skip down the hall rather than walk and see how many looks you get.
6. Order a diet water whenever you go out to eat, with a serious face.
7. Specify that your drive-through order is 'to go'.
8. Sing along at the opera.
9. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their party because you have a headache.
10. When the money comes out the atm, scream "I won! I won!"
11. When leaving the zoo, start running towards the parking lot, yelling "Run for your lives! they're loose!"
12. Tell your children over dinner, "due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."
Lorri Glawe is a reporter for the Pilot Tribune in Storm Lake.