Mom, Dad, I'm Gay...BVU panel shares coming out experiences, seeks understanding
Not so scary: Lakes pastor draws squeaks, not screams, as SarabelleARNOLDS PARK — The sound of footsteps coming from the woods won’t be made by Rev. Dr. Sarah Rohret’s floppy shoes. As Sarabelle, she chooses a mid-morning parade route over an ominous trail at...
- City lands $6.4m in disaster funds for water projects (10/20/16)
- Iowa crops of the future: nuts to maple syrup (10/20/16)
- Alyssa receives her new ‘ride’ (10/20/16)
- Family cemetery now county responsibility (10/20/16)
- BVRMC: Out with the Old (10/20/16)
- Denison man suffers self inflicted injury on his way to hunt deer (10/20/16)
- Start to Farm Series for New and Early Career Dairy Farmers begins Nov. 17 at Dordt College (10/20/16)
- Junk Rescued to hold sale (10/20/16)
- Storm Lake a window into hunger problem in rural US (10/18/16)
- The happy haunts of Schaller (10/18/16)
- Regional High School VolleyballSt. Mary’s season ends against Newell-Fonda in regional play NEWELL - The Panthers took the first set against the Mustangs, but couldn’t take anymore than that falling three sets to one on Tuesday night in 1A-Region 1. The set scores were 25-14, 22-25, 18-25 and 9-25...
- Storm Lake swimming splits meet in Spencer (10/20/16)
- Football Week Nine Preview (10/20/16)
- Alta-Aurelia girls finish third, boys sixth at Twin Lakes Conference meet (10/18/16)
- Tornadoes finish fourth in Tornado Classic (10/18/16)
- Storm Lake pounds Spencer, to play for District title Friday (10/15/16)
- High School Cross Country roundup (10/13/16)
Sexual assault in college: From Hollywood to your hometown (10/20/16)As college students walking on campus for the first time our freshman year, we are bombarded with sexual assault statistics. Here’s one. According to the Association of American Universities (AAU), 1 in 4 college women experience sexual assault during their undergraduate education...
Green lights can honor both football and veterans (10/18/16)I just want to say that I love the green lighting posts supporting SLHS. As a proud ‘10 alumni, I couldn’t be prouder of our boys this season. It is also important to note that “green lighting” also means supporting military veterans. I’m also an OEF, Operation Enduring Freedom veteran having served in Afghanistan with the Iowa Army National Guard in 2011, currently still in. ...
No debate a sign of cowardice? (10/18/16)Steve King’s refusal to debate Kim Weaver and the majority of his previous opponents in Congressional races represents nothing more than a continuation of the cowardice he initially exhibited as a young adult by obtaining three student draft deferments to evade military service and dropping out of college after fate provided him a draft lottery number so high that it eliminated the possibility of conscription...
Wedding: Becker and Sweeney Wedding (10/20/16)Philip Becker, son of Steven and Therese Becker of Storm Lake, and Kayla Sweeney, daughter of Gina and Mike Hill of Ankeny, were married on June 11th at St. Pius X Catholic Church in Urbandale, with...
Anniversary: Anniversary (10/18/16)The family of Dave and Jean Hadden would like to celebrate their 55th wedding anniversary with a card shower. Dave and Jean were married on October 21, 1961 in Early. If you would like to help them...
Anniversary: Keith and Elizabeth (Betty) Kirby (10/18/16)Happy 50th Anniversary to Keith and Elizabeth (Betty) Kirby, who were joined in marriage on October 15, 1966. As your children and grandchildren, we could not ask for better role models as to what it...
MiscellaneousFor Sale: 40 gallon LP water heater, used 3 months. Call (712)225-4122
Help WantedHelp Wanted: The Good Samaritan Society of Newell is looking for a part-time LPN or RN with a $1,000 sign-on bonus, and an on-call part-time driver is also needed. Apply online at www.ggod-sam.com/newell or call 712-272-3327 for more information.
Help WantedCommunity Memorial Health Center in Hartley currently has a Housekeeping/Laundry position available. Competitive wages. Pre-employment work screen. Apply in person at the Health Center business office. EOE
Help WantedPersonal Service Assistant needed at Hartley Community Memorial Assisted Living on 10p.m. to 6a.m. shift. Applicant should be a Certified Nursing Assistant or willing to take the class. Call us at (712)728-2524, apply online communitymemorialhc.com or come in and see why our tenants love us. Competitive wages. Pre-employment work screen. You can also apply in person at the Health Center business office. EOE