Over the Rainbow: What Coming Out Day means to locals"Is it safe to talk about who I am?" It's a question that LGBTQ people ask themselves all the time. Coming Out Day, celebrated on October 11 and 12, gives those in the community who have yet to...
Gully's Story: For some vets, the conflict isn't over yetThe Vietnam War has been over for 43 years. But for some surviving veterans, the conflict still has not been resolved. "I don't care what you say or what I do, Vietnam is always there," says Vietnam...
SL district sets public forums on bond issueThe Storm Lake Community School District will hold three public forums in advance of its December 11 bond issue vote. At these forums, district leaders will present information on SLCSD’s capacity...
- Trump rally crowd chants ‘Lock her up!’ about Sen. Feinstein (10/15/18)
- University of Iowa suspends 9 fraternities, citing alcohol (10/15/18)
- Fire destroys kitchen at Sioux Rapids Wagon Wheel (10/15/18)
- City clarifies water tax on bills (10/15/18)
- 2018 Opus Press Release (10/15/18)
- BVU Crowns 2018 Homecoming King and Queen (10/15/18)
- ‘Living Room Conversation’ in SL contributes to report (10/12/18)
- Nuts to you (10/12/18)
- Muddy harvest has county engineer asking for help (10/12/18)
- Lakeside bans fireworks (10/12/18)
- Mustangs lifted by Rojas’ game winning FGNEWELL - Friday night had the feel of two boxers going 15 rounds in the ring in the game between Newell-Fonda and Remsen St. Mary’s on the slippery gridiron. The two schools exchanged blows back and forth for the entire four quarter contest while battling themselves as well. A field goal splitting the uprights as time expired gave the Mustangs a 24-22 win to take sole possession of second place in 8-Player-District 1...
- Krier’s big plays aid Warriors in rout (10/15/18)
- Tornado offense can’t get on track at Heelan (10/15/18)
- BVU bows to Luther in tough road loss (10/15/18)
- Hargens’ big night carries Rebels to district lead (10/15/18)
- BVU men’s soccer gets first win (10/15/18)
- Ridge View rallies past Manson for win (10/15/18)
Why one county Farm Bureau refuses to endorse Steve King (10/5/18)Iowa Farm Bureau granted Steve King their endorsement. Here’s why my county, the Winnebago Farm Bureau, did not. Ethanol is under attack. The EPA gave out “hardship waivers” to “small” refineries. This undermined the RFS without doing so legislatively. ...
Going to Jamaica - on $35 (10/1/18)an’t stand looking at my Facebook feed any more. Is there ANYBODY I know who isn’t on vacation in some exciting place right now? Oh, but I have a solution for those of us whose travel budget consists of a change jar. What if I told you that you could have the most exotic vacation imaginable, sightseeing in stimulating locales like Jamaica, Holland, Madrid, Delhi, East Peru, Manilla, Rome, the Orient, Berlin, Cairo, Brazil, Columbia, Florence, Denmark, Jordan, Lebanon, Santiago, Yorkshire, Kingston, Moscow - and of course, what journey would be complete without stopping in Key West for a Margarita?. ...
Sandra Thillen July 13, 1956 - October 5, 2018Sandra Thillen, age 62, of LeMars, Iowa lost her battle to cancer on Friday, October 5, at the Buena Vista Regional Medical Center in Storm Lake. A Celebration of Life will take place on Sunday,...
William GuyAugust 28, 1957 - October 5, 2018
Sara R. JimenezDecember 27, 1943 - October 10, 2018
RentalsTwo bedroom apartment for rent. Excellent condition. Stove, refrigerator, washer and dryer. 135 Flindt Dr. Maximum 2-3 people. No pets and no smoking. 712-299-5968.
RentalsPatriot Storage has storage units available November 1 2- 12' x 32' storage units with 15' doors. Perfect for storing your boats, motorcycles, and smaller campers for the winter! We also have a few 8' x 10' units available that are good for smaller items. Contact us today for more information- 712-299-5151 or 712-200-4159 Located 1 1/2 miles north of Alta on M31 - 5692 50th Avenue.
MiscellaneousFor Sale: Home raised broiler - 5 1/2 to 6 lbs dressed. $12, ready in 1 week. Ph. 712-272-3606 712-299-0049
Farm EquipmentFor Sale: Used Westfield MK100-61 auger w/ new hopper and Westfield WR100-31 $3800 for both, or make offer. Equipment local to Storm Lake. Call 816-522-7413