A PILOT SPECIAL REPORT: Early Childhood Center next focus for SL districtLegislature’s ‘penny tax’ decision in 2017 session could make or break building hopes
BVU alums have made an impact on politicsTo say that Buena Vista University is a cradle of politicians would be putting it mildly. Alums of the local campus are serving in legislatures in three states, and a plethora of grads are serving,...
- Alliant: solar may be the future of Iowa energy (10/25/16)
- Area 4-H’ers compete in State 4-H Livestock and Meats Judging contests (10/25/16)
- Halloween party at Storm Lake Public Library (10/25/16)
- Weaver: King shows ‘cowardice’ in refusing debate (10/25/16)
- Happy Hauntings: Halloween anticipation brings best out of Delaneys (10/25/16)
- Cherokee man wins $30,000 on scratch game (10/25/16)
- Sunrise Pointe closes for 2016 season (10/25/16)
- $20.5m Methodist Manor facility breaks ground (10/24/16)
- Farmer complains on pipeline project (10/24/16)
- King resolution seeks to erase Obama’s legacy (10/24/16)
- Regional Cross CountryStorm Lake’s Cavanaugh qualifies for State SPENCER - Tornado senior Dylan Cavanaugh has struck again, this time taking first at the 3A State qualifying meet in Spencer on Thursday night. Cavanaugh, currently the fourth best runner in 3A, took first with a time of 16.09.4. Coming in second was Miles Scott from Sergeant Bluff-Luton who was only three seconds behind Cavanaugh...
- High School Football roundup week nine (10/24/16)
- CHAMPIONS! Tornadoes topple SB-L with a furious fourth quarter comeback, win first ever District title (10/24/16)
- Iowa’s pheasant season begins October 29 (10/24/16)
- Storm Lake swimming splits meet in Spencer (10/20/16)
- Regional High School Volleyball (10/20/16)
- Football Week Nine Preview (10/20/16)
Sexual assault in college: From Hollywood to your hometown (10/20/16)As college students walking on campus for the first time our freshman year, we are bombarded with sexual assault statistics. Here’s one. According to the Association of American Universities (AAU), 1 in 4 college women experience sexual assault during their undergraduate education...
Green lights can honor both football and veterans (10/18/16)I just want to say that I love the green lighting posts supporting SLHS. As a proud ‘10 alumni, I couldn’t be prouder of our boys this season. It is also important to note that “green lighting” also means supporting military veterans. I’m also an OEF, Operation Enduring Freedom veteran having served in Afghanistan with the Iowa Army National Guard in 2011, currently still in. ...
No debate a sign of cowardice? (10/18/16)Steve King’s refusal to debate Kim Weaver and the majority of his previous opponents in Congressional races represents nothing more than a continuation of the cowardice he initially exhibited as a young adult by obtaining three student draft deferments to evade military service and dropping out of college after fate provided him a draft lottery number so high that it eliminated the possibility of conscription...
Wedding: Becker and Sweeney Wedding (10/20/16)Philip Becker, son of Steven and Therese Becker of Storm Lake, and Kayla Sweeney, daughter of Gina and Mike Hill of Ankeny, were married on June 11th at St. Pius X Catholic Church in Urbandale, with...
Anniversary: Anniversary (10/18/16)The family of Dave and Jean Hadden would like to celebrate their 55th wedding anniversary with a card shower. Dave and Jean were married on October 21, 1961 in Early. If you would like to help them...
Anniversary: Keith and Elizabeth (Betty) Kirby (10/18/16)Happy 50th Anniversary to Keith and Elizabeth (Betty) Kirby, who were joined in marriage on October 15, 1966. As your children and grandchildren, we could not ask for better role models as to what it...
Boss Is Gone Sale at Carey's Electronics!Come in to Carey's Electronics of Spencer for BIG SAVINGS during our Boss Is Gone sale!
Garage Sales"JUNK RESCUED" 617 Lake Ave., 3rd floor Storm Lake Repurposed-Salvaged-Vintage Items for your home. Thursday, Nov. 10, 5-7p.m. Friday, Nov. 11, 10-6p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12, 10-3p.m. Sunday, Nov. 13, Noon-4p.m.
MiscellaneousFor Sale: 40 gallon LP water heater, used 3 months. Call (712)225-4122