BVU names new president, to take office July 1Buena Vista University’s Board of Trustees has named Dr. Joshua D. Merchant as its new president, succeeding Frederick V. Moore, who is stepping down from the position after 22 years. Merchant will...
Latin American group looks for community impactHuddleston steps aside as new leaders emerge
- Operation Clean Sweep addressed 853 2016 nuisance properties in SL
- Collective bargaining ‘a big goodbye kiss’
- Barn Blaze
- New study shows the importance of community colleges and the impact they have on the economy
- Retired Catholic priest in Iowa sentenced in privacy case
- State awards funds for POET plant in Palo Alto County
- Another Day Without Immigrants set
- Flu deaths rise in Iowa, two from northwest region
- No prison time in $250,000 lottery scheme
- BVU science and business students honored for academic achievement
- Denied: Newell-Fonda falls after buzzer thanks to free throwsCHEROKEE - There was no time left on the clock on Monday night at Cherokee. #4 Newell-Fonda began to celebrate a 75-74 win over #7 Kingsley-Pierson, but the joy faded as a referee signaled foul on the Mustangs to give KP junior Bri Jensen three chances at the line while the packed gym had eyes on her. The first rimmed off to the right side, the second went in and the third and final free throw found the mark to send the Panthers to the 1A State Tournament and Newell-Fonda back home...
- Solko finishes fifth at State at 152
- Storm Lake bows out at LeMars in District semi
- Sac City location for fall hunting and trapping discussion moves to Sac City Middle School
- High school girls district basketball opening rounds (2/14/17)
- Alta-Aurelia boys make it 18 straight wins (2/14/17)
- Raptors see a third place and a fourth place finish at Districts (2/14/17)
No common sense in Iowa defunding Planned Parenthood (2/9/17)The Iowa Legislature’s rabid determination to defund Planned Parenthood belies common sense. Here are some facts to consider: #1: NO state or federal dollars are used for abortions. #2: Medicaid (not the State of Iowa) reimburses Planned Parenthood for providing covered family planning services. ...
Take care of home first (2/9/17)At coffee today, my friend Heidi was steaming mad. She works with the public and I want to say is one of the nicest, kindest, women I have ever known. She was visiting with one of her clients she said, and was discussing politics. She shared with the coffee group and said she wished she could tell the world how some of us think, and I say some of us because I am included in her beliefs...
Lawmakers failed IA students (2/9/17)Senate Republicans failed Iowa’s public school students, parents, educators and our communities today passing along party lines, Senate File 166, a bill which inadequately funds our schools. Public schools in Iowa have always been a source of pride as they are rated among the best in the country. ...
Engagement: Mandi Dreckman and Aaron Schneider (2/6/17)Mandi Dreckman and Aaron Schneider, both of Remsen, announce their engagement. Mandi is daughter of Bill and Karen Steffen, Storm Lake, and the late Chuck Dreckman of Le Mars. Aaron is son of Bruce...
Anniversary: 70th Wedding Anniversary (1/26/17)Jack and Dorothy Mernin celebrated their 70th Wedding Anniversary Monday, January 23. The couple was marring in Sioux City in 1947. When asked how they did it, Dorothy says, “A lot of love, faith,...
Anniversary: 70th Anniversary (1/12/17)Happy 70th Anniversary to Bernard (Ben) and Elaine Meyer on January 16. Help them celebrate with a card shower. Cards may be sent to: 520 Otsego, Apt. 210, Storm Lake.
MiscellaneousFor Sale: Incline weight bench. In very good condition. $100/OBO. 712-358-1048.
Help WantedHelp wanted: Good Samaritan Society-Newell is looking for full or part time CNA’s with a $1,000 sign-on bonus. Apply online at www.good-sam.com/newell or call 712-272-3327 for more information.
- Winter Storm Watch in effect until 6:00 PM CST on Friday for Dickinson County and 7 other counties in Iowa
- Winter Storm Watch in effect until 6:00 PM CST on Friday for Emmet County, Palo Alto County, Kossuth County and Pocahontas County
- Winter Storm Watch in effect until 6:00 PM CST on Friday for Jackson County, Minnesota and 7 other counties in Minnesota